Chai Peasant Loaves – Makes 2
1 cup rye flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup cracked wheat, uncooked steel-cut oats, sunflower seeds, or other coarse-textured grains, seeds, or nuts
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 a cup of Drink me Chai Spiced Chai Latte Powder
1 tablespoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
3 1/4 cups room temperature water
- Mix together the rye flour, whole-wheat flour, cracked wheat, all-purpose flour, Drink me Chai Spiced Latte Powder, salt, and yeast.
- Stir in the water to form a thick batter.
- Cover the bowl and let it sit at room temperature overnight.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured counter and divide it into two equal pieces. Sprinkle the dough pieces with a little more flour and shape them into round loaves. Cover and rest for 2 hours at room temperature, until nearly doubled in size.
- When the loaves have risen, preheat the oven to 200C fan. When at temperature, cut two slashes in the top of the loaves and transfer them onto a baking sheet.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and the loaves sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Allow to cool fully on a rack before slicing and eating.