Chai & Raisin Jumble Loaf
1 x 7g fast-action dried yeast
500g strong white flour
7g sea salt
2tsp caster sugar
50g unsalted butter
1 medium egg
65g light muscovado sugar
1tbsp Drink me Chai Spiced Chai Latte powder
1tsp strong white flour
- To make the dough, put the flour, yeast, salt & sugar into a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Once mixed create a well in the centre of the bowl.
- Heat the milk in a plastic jug with the butter, until melted & leave to cool until lukewarm. Add the egg & combine.
- Add the jug contents to the flour mix & work everything together with your hand to make a soft dough.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly dusted worktop & knead for 8 minutes. Scatter the raisins over the dough & knead until distributed evenly throughout the dough.
- Return dough to the bowl & leave for an hour to rise.
- To create the filling, mix all of the remaining ingredients in a small bowl.
- Roll out dough to a rectangle (30 x 40cm) & then brush with milk and then sprinkle filling evenly across the surface of the dough. Roll the dough up like a Swiss Roll, making sure to pinch the ends to close the seam.
- Cut the roll into 14 slices & then slice each of them in half once again (to create a semi-circle shape).
- Arrange a layer of dough into the bottom of a lined loaf tin (900g). Add the rest of the pieces in a ‘jumbled’ fashion, making sure you don’t flatten the pieces.
- Cover the tin with clingfilm & leave to rise for 1 hour. Towards the end of this final prove, heat your oven to 180°C Fan.
- Uncover the loaf, brush gently with milk & bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Yum!